Summer HAZFest 2012!!! (Starring: The Perseids!)

Find & Add Hiking Events!

Moderators: HAZ Group Coordinators, HAZ - Moderators

Type Camp out

Start Date 2012-08-10

# of days 3

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Summer HAZFest 2012!!! (Starring: The Perseids!)

Post by chumley »

UPDATE: Location, Directions, Info: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6888&p=83678#p83678

------
uh huh, pun intended...

Yes, it's time for a full-fledged summer camping/hiking/climbing/shenanigans adventure. Come one, come all... but don't say you didn't have time to clear your calendar (seriously, it's over 4 months from now)!

Date: Friday, August 10 through Sunday, August 12

Destination: Cabin Loop on the Mogollon Rim. We'll make a base camp that everybody can get to*, and if need be do a few shuttles to create dayhikes along the Cabin Loop. There are great opportunities for beautiful established-trail hiking in the cool pines, as well as off-trail exploration in rugged Dane Canyon (or Barbershop, Yeager, etc.)

If it's really hot (you know, over 80), there might even be a possible swimming trip over to Knoll Lake.

All of this is contingent on this part of the forest not burning down first. :pray:

Why this date??? It's Perseid Meteor Shower Weekend! That's right, despite a waning crescent moon rising after 2am, we should be subject to a weekend of debris from the Swift Tuttle Comet, which should provide a show of up to 50-60 meteors per hour (about 1/min). As long as the skies are clear.

This will of course require adult beverages and very late-night hiking to get away from the light of the fire, and time to readjust your eyes for better viewing. (The first time you'll ever be able to justify using that red light on your headlamp). If you haven't experienced a good meteor shower away from city lights before, it truly is something to behold! Bring a whole book of wishes, and see if they come true!

Details to follow. Just put it on your calendar now. No excuses.

* The new CNF travel management rule takes effect next month and there's a lot to learn about the new restrictions on travel and camping. As such, the exact location we will camp will be determined later. Nonetheless, you can expect it to be within 3 hrs of Phoenix. 2 hrs paved, and up to 20 miles on graded, sedan-accessible dirt roads. Don't be a wuss. Your Prius will love the fresh air!
33s over 45s
Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: HAZ SummerFest 2012!!! (Starring: The Perseids!)

Post by Tough_Boots »

I vote for a night of heavy drinking in Barbershop Canyon :D I can't wait to get back up to the Cabin Loop area. I haven't hit Dane Canyon yet!
juliachaos

Post by juliachaos »

ummm.. YES! I'm putting this on my "Adventure Calendar" right now, so that it won't get forgotten about :)
PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL »

I like the pun in the thread title. If I lose my job and have that weekend free, I'm in.
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

Last edited by Jim_H on May 07 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness »

Yeah...this looks very cool. Whoever wants to start planning and carpooling from the East Valley let me know.

Trish
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

Bump.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
chumley

Post by chumley »

:) I was gonna do it next week when we got to the 3-months out mark! This works though!
33s over 45s
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

I have had a spell of CRS disease or something lately. I was emailing Trish. I said, "Weren't we talking about doing that Cabin Loop?" Then I went and looked at my wall calendar. I had written it on there. Double DUH! Hope my foot is all better by then. It's a lot better now. I can walk without limping, at least some of the time.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
Trishness

Post by Trishness »

DUH Lizard-bath. Haga no tienen calendarios en Costa Rica? (Don't they have calendars in Costa Rica?)

Chumley.......what's the buzz, tell me whats happenin' with this trip? A through backpack trip or a car camp and day hikes?

BEEBEE, you live close to me so let me know if you want to car pool as the time gets closer.

By the time August rolls around I'll be ready for any respite from the triple digit heat

Trishie
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey
gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo »

If i go, i'll have to arrive on Friday and leave on Saturday.
chumley

Post by chumley »

It'll be a car camping trip with day hikes. Unless people wanna do their own thing and backpack with a night planned at our site, but that's up to you. Not the main plan!

Gummo I'll be there Friday. Maybe even Thursday night. But history shows most others won't arrive til late Friday or even early Saturday.

Well be happy to see whoever can come even if it's only for one night.
33s over 45s
Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots »

where are you thinking about car camping?
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Trishness wrote:DUH Lizard-bath. Haga no tienen calendarios en Costa Rica? (Don't they have calendars in Costa Rica?)

Chumley.......what's the buzz, tell me whats happenin' with this trip? A through backpack trip or a car camp and day hikes?

BEEBEE, you live close to me so let me know if you want to car pool as the time gets closer.

By the time August rolls around I'll be ready for any respite from the triple digit heat

Trishie
Si, tengo calendario! Pero, porque no leer y responder a tu correo electronico?

Y tambien, estoy deseando a conocer todos mis amigos de internet.
Trishness

Post by Trishness »

I'll actually take that Friday off and spend three sun filled days and two cool nights up on the rim. A base camp and day hikes sound good to me. Not sure just where you plan to make base camp yet so I'll keep following the thread.

:D
Trish-Kabob

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Ok, Trish, now go read your correo electronico!
writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots »

Yup - I think some time in the pines will be just what the doctor ordered by the time this rolls around. Just make sure you bring good rain gear - it'll probably be pretty wet.

I LOVE my hammock in the rain. hmmmmmm.......
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama
Trishness

Post by Trishness »

azbackpackr wrote:Ok, Trish, now go read your correo electronico!
Yeah Yeah Yeah :)
Trish-Kabob

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray »

Bummer...I'll be hiking in Glacier NP. Next time.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!
tibber

Post by tibber »

Sun Ray wrote:Bummer...I'll be hiking in Glacier NP. Next time.
and I will just have gotten back so I am hoping I have the energy to join in on another HAZ Fest.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Return to “Hiking Events”