username
X
password
register help
show related photosets
Drew Canyon to See Canyon Loop, AZ
mini location map2016-02-27
12 by photographer avatarThe_N
photographer avatar
 
Drew Canyon to See Canyon Loop, AZ 
Drew Canyon to See Canyon Loop, AZ
 
Hiking avatar Feb 27 2016
The_N
Hiking12.60 Miles 2,696 AEG
Hiking12.60 Miles   4 Hrs   37 Mns   2.94 mph
2,696 ft AEG      20 Mns Break
 
Felt good to get back on one of my favorite Rim Country loops. The dry, mild February enticed me start hitting this one a little earlier than usual. Temps were in the 60s accompanied by lots of sunshine. Great time to hike up here since there is no traffic on the Rim and tons of water present. My feet were wet all day but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Highline #31: Plenty of new deadfall and free of snow with some patches of mud.

Drew #291: Dry and free of snow or ice. No recent deadfall. Good little exercise. Excellent views. My favorite part of this loop.

FR 9350: Wet and muddy with patches of snow up to a foot deep. No access to campsite right now so it's quiet and empty. Stopped briefly to scarf down a sandwich on a rock outcropping overlooking Rim Country.

General Crook: Snow increased considerably. 85% of the trail was snow with depths up to 20+ inches. Compacted so staying on top of the snow was fairly easy. The other 15% was mud and water. Every stream and drainage was flowing. A few of them across the trail. Plenty of elk running around in the trees all around me. Popped up to Rim Rd at the 'V Tree' to check road conditions (see photoset).

See Canyon #184: Started off promising as the very top was a short reprive from the snow, that changed quickly. Once in the shaded, upper reaches of the canyon the snow got deep. Well over 2ft with even deeper spots. This snow was not as compacted and slow going. Water was flowing the entire length of the canyon. I took a few detours to check out some seasonal cascades. About 6 stream/creek crossings in total. Snow turned to mud about half way down. Passed 3 gentlemen at the 184/185 junction but otherwise total solitude all day.

water 1 out of 5water 2 out of 5water 3 out of 5water less than max Christopher Creek Medium flow Medium flow
Borderline heavy flow. Especially below See Spring.

water 1 out of 5water 2 out of 5water 3 out of 5water less than max See Canyon Medium flow Medium flow
Water in every drainage. Seasonal cascades flowing.
_____________________
If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
HAZ Member
The_N's
198 Photosets

  2016-04-08
  2016-04-07
  2016-04-06
  2016-04-01
  2016-03-26
  2016-03-20
  2016-03-19
  2016-03-14
  2016-03-05
  2016-02-27
  2016-02-23
  2016-02-19
  2016-02-16
  2016-02-13
  2016-02-06
  2016-01-22
  2016-01-21
  2016-01-11
  2016-01-08
  2016-01-06
1 ... 4,  5,  6,  7,  8,  9,  10  
help comment issue

end of page marker