register help
show related photosets
Humphreys Summit Trail #151
367 Photosets

1,  2,  3,  4,  5 ... 19  
mini location map2019-07-24
3 by photographer avatartrixiec
photographer avatar
Humphreys Summit Trail #151Flagstaff, AZ
Flagstaff, AZ
Hiking avatar Jul 24 2019
Hiking9.99 Miles 3,463 AEG
Hiking9.99 Miles   8 Hrs   11 Mns   1.33 mph
3,463 ft AEG      42 Mns Break6 LBS Pack
1st trip
Linked none no linked trail guides
Partners none no partners
Route Scout GPS Route Recorded on Route Scout View
So my backpacking buddy decided we needed to summit Humphrey's Peak before we get too old. So we hit the trail head at 4:30 a.m., started out with headlamps and a light drizzle of rain for about 30 minutes. We could see flashlights at the top of the peak, so someone had already beat us up to the top :pout: . It was a pretty easy hike for the first few miles, I was chatting away with no response from my friend. [-( She was "focused on her breathing" . In other words, shut the heck up. :--: We were trying our best to stay hydrated, but I swear, we old gals had to stop every 30 minutes to water the bushes along the trail. As the sun rose, we were rewarded with a beautiful rainbow. The smoke from the Museum fire was visible, but didn't pose a problem for us. We met a nice young man we named Pinky, due to his bright pink shirt. We drafted him most of the way up. Finally we reached the saddle and the views were amazing. A quick bite to eat, empty the bladder, we were on our way again. Then, we came upon something I have never seen along this trail - bro scat. Seriously, someone had taken a dump next to the trail :shaggy: and left their toilet paper with a "copper penny" staring up at us. (If you don't know what that is, think about it for a minute). We voiced our disgust, but there was no one around to hear us. We weren't going to let that ruin our trip, so moved along. We slugs finally reached the summit around 9:00. :DANCE: After signing the log, ate some food, chatted with Pinky, did a photo shoot, and headed back down. Encountered a young girl leading her family up the peak. She had the most beautiful blue eyes we have ever seen, Sandy and I placed bets on which family member had the blue eye gene...turned out mom and dad both did, and all kids had blue eyes. Neither one of us won that bet. The trek to the bottom seemed like it took forever, Pinky (who had changed his shirt, so now we named him Rusty) flew by us and we never saw him again until we were back to the trail head. Sandy decided to pick up some speed on the way down. Then I heard a crash and a groan...3/4 of a mile from the trail head, she tripped over her own darn feet and face planted on the trail. : app : Being a stubborn kind of gal, not wanting my help, she proceeded to place bandages on her boo boos, I texted on my phone, then we were on our way again. I think we arrived at the trail head around 12:30, hit the I-17 for the treacherous drive home. All that relaxing on the mountain was undone with a 2 hour drive home.
help comment issue

end of page marker