register help
show related photosets
Superstition Ridgeline
186 Photosets

1,  2,  3,  4,  5,  6 ... 10  
mini location map2015-12-04
5 by photographer avatarPeraltaPhil
photographer avatar
Superstition RidgelinePhoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ
Hiking avatar Dec 04 2015
Hiking11.50 Miles 4,480 AEG
Hiking11.50 Miles   10 Hrs      1.15 mph
4,480 ft AEG
 no routes
1st trip
Linked none no linked trail guides
Partners none no partners
Five hearty souls, Mike, Bob, Mark, Gary, and yours truly embarked from the Carney Springs Trailhead at 6:30 A.M. for an east to west Superstition Ridge Line hike. Flashlights were in order for the first half mile or so.
With fresh legs we made the West Boulder Saddle in about 1.25 hours, a record time for me. I was the trailer, of course. My excuse was - taking photos.
After a short breather, we headed west towards the "Peak". The weather was cool, perfect for hiking. We had sunshine until midway between Superstition Peak and the Flatiron.
The views were spectacular with the hiking pace brisk. As we crossed over and down the first hill we could see pools of water in the wash. The part which we crossed, however, was dry.
We reached the Carney Springs Trail head overlook pass around 9:00 A.M. Quicker than I had done previously. It usually takes me 45 minutes to reach the "Peak" base before 10:00 A.M. Two of us - Bob and Mark had not yet bagged the peak, so we took a 45 minute detour from the Ridge Line hike.
Clear skies made for some great photos. I took a few, others took many. Mike had gone ahead to wait by the flat, rectangular boulder west of the peak hoodoos. We reunited and continued on.
Our plan was to cross over all the peaks on the way to the Flatiron. I had made a Flatiron to Carney hike in March. We skirted a couple peaks. Crossing over was shorter and more strenuous. My legs were weak but I enjoyed the spectacular views. Especially those of Hog Canyon. Some day I desire to make that ascent.
We zig-zagged forward to the pine tree campsite before 2:00 P.M. We conversed with a couple of hikers, rested, then continued to the Flatiron descent. Unfortunately, our pace slowed due to a hard fall I took on some big nasty boulders.
Cuts, scrapes, and bruised ribs were the result. For just a moment I was dazed. My companions helped restore my composure and administer first aid. Worn hiking shoes, fatigue, and dirt covered rock were contributing factors.
Mindful to not suffer my fate, the hiking pace was reduced. The rest of the hike was without further incident. My sore ribs will need healing before I resume hiking.
I was happy to reach the Mining Camp Restaurant (Tonto Trail head) at 4:30 P.M. 11.5 miles, 10 hours with breaks totaling 1.25 hours.

Be careful descending Flatiron. My hiking partners tell me I stopped just short of a 10-foot drop.

Thank you to Bob, Mike, Mark, and Gary for a great hike.
3 archives
help comment issue

end of page marker