Short Hike with kids

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

WanderingDad
City, State: Surprise Az

Short Hike with kids

Post by WanderingDad » Sep 12 2018 9:08 am

Hi all,

I have two beautiful daughters (ages 5/3) that I would like to take on a short hike. The wife is 7 months pregnant and I would like to let her have some free time to her self for a morning. The goal is to keep the distance below 5 miles just in case I have to pack them out :?. I am currently looking at the Lynx Lake Loop Trail #311. It looks easy enough and being that we are from the Phoenix area...I am sure they will enjoy seeing the water. With that said, do you all have any other recommendations?

Prost!

Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Short Hike with kids

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Sep 12 2018 10:35 am

If you want to stay in the Prescott area I would say Goldwater Lake or Watson Lake would be more fun for that age. Have fun!!
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

jacobemerick
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by jacobemerick » Sep 12 2018 11:13 am

Hackberry Springs is my go to for a short local hike for my boys (same ages). It has good shaded sections, low traffic, is free, and no bike traffic. Plus, a spring!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Sep 12 2018 11:53 am

With little ones, watch especially close for snakes.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ddgrunning » Sep 12 2018 1:39 pm

Agree re Lynx Lake--a good one for little hikers. Other options closer to Phx (when weather permits): Treasure Loop at Lost Dutchman State Park; Hieroglyphics Trail; Several options at Usery Park; Hidden Valley via Mormon Tr. at South Mountain (may need some extra help/patience on the first mile climb). Also, the Waterall Trail on Fossil Creek. Horton Creek may be a little long, but you can always turn around early after playing in the creek along the way; Same with the creek along the Bell Trail.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Sep 12 2018 4:00 pm

since you live in suprise, lynx lake is a great call. but the real "gem" of that area is below the dam. make sure to hit that area when you go.
:D

garyc57
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by garyc57 » Sep 13 2018 7:28 am

Might I suggest Pima Canyon TH at South Mountain? There are lots of "easy" trails, some more demanding than others. You can pick and choose, depending on your daughters' level of comfort. As they get better at hiking, you can easily choose the more demanding trails.

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Sep 13 2018 8:30 am

I second Watson Lake in the Prescott area, my kids always liked that one. Same with Horton Creek, they might only make it halfway, but they’ll have fun in the water.

A few other ideas for kids that age (my kids did all of these around that same age):

Walk the perimeter of Bear Canyon Lake. It’s pretty easy, just a few miles. Water and birds for the kids to see. A few spots where you might want to hold the younger ones hands, but my kids did great.

Red Mountain trail north of Flagstaff. No water but the kids may like exploring in all the rocks and little pathways at the end. After you’re done with that, you can stop by the Slate Lake lava tube just a couple of miles away. It’s much smaller than the popular one by Flag, just a few hundred feet, but you’ll likely have it all to yourself, and it’s easier for younger kids.

Marshall Gulch by Mt Lemmon is great for kids. Get there early, the parking fills up. There’s a cute bakery/fudge shop in Summerhaven the kids may like. Some of the other trails at the top are pretty kid friendly too.

When it cools off around Phx: maybe Marcus Landslide trail in the McDowells. Short and easy, with fun rocks.

More of a late winter, after some good rains, Arnett Creek by Picketpost is fun for the kids.

WanderingDad
City, State: Surprise Az

Post by WanderingDad » Sep 13 2018 4:52 pm

Wow! Thank you everyone for the replies on the topic. It seems we have some hiking to do!!! I’m thinking the Prescott area will be our goal for this weekend.
Last edited by WanderingDad on Sep 13 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”