register help
show related photosets
Reavis Ranch via 109 South
137 Photosets

1,  2,  3,  4,  5,  6,  7  
mini location map2015-10-27
17 by photographer avatarOregon_Hiker
photographer avatar
page 1   2
Reavis Ranch via 109 SouthGlobe, AZ
Globe, AZ
Backpack avatar Oct 27 2015
Backpack14.40 Miles 2,455 AEG
Backpack14.40 Miles6 Days         
2,455 ft AEG47 LBS Pack
1st trip
Linked none no linked trail guides
Partners partners
I was fortunate to get to tag along with Wade, Mary Jo, and Kelly on this backpacking trip to Reavis Ranch. It was a first time for all of us except Wade who had been there before from the north side. They planned to stay at Reavis Ranch for two nights, using it as a base camp to hike to Circlestone (and Mound Mtn) on Wednesday. I opted to stay there 5 nights - it's just too much work to haul a heavy pack in there and then just stay two nights. The weather was pleasant for the hike in but I struggled up that grade with my 47 lb pack. If I'm going to keep backpacking at my age I have to get that weight down to at least 35 lbs but it's difficult, at least for me, with 6 days of food, 4 liters of water, rain gear, etc, etc. (Just too much etc) The others got some long breaks as they waited for me to catch up while I got lots of 1-2 minute breaks trying to keep my heart rate at a reasonable level.

Reavis lived up to expectations, a long stretch of meadows separated by patches of trees along the entire valley floor. We chose perhaps the largest campsite which is located by the remains of a cattle loading chute at the Reavis Corral. Logs surround three sides of the fire pit providing comfortable seating although Wade didn't need the logs, he brought in a light weight folding REI camp chair (and his pack was still lighter than mine.) Water was easy to get to in the creek with a large pool. Although the pool was covered with leaves and the water had wigglers in it, it was clear and quite tasty after filtering. I stayed at this campsite after the others left. Although I felt guilty about one person tying up a large group campsite, it was just too much hassle to move.

Thursday afternoon the thunderstorms arrived. I got caught without rain gear out on the east hillside of Reavis Valley and got soaked. That night it rained all night but was never a heavy deluge. So Friday was sort of a kick back day doing some exploring around the edges of the valley after stringing up my clothes to dry.

We encountered few people during the week. Two people on horseback with a third horse for "packing out apples" came in on one day. Their plan was to take home several large sacks of apples to make cider - just didn't work out that way. Friday morning while wandering around the valley waiting for my clothes to dry I encountered an AZTer who was walking back and forth in the tall grass where the AZT crosses the meadow to intersect with the Reavis Trail #109. Seems he had lost the trail in the tall grass. Some interesting conversation ensued. Somehow he was able to get his pack weight down to 31 lbs with 5 liters of water, 5 days of food, full set of rain gear (pants and top), two person tent, etc. If I could do that I'll still be backpacking when I'm 80!

Friday afternoon through Saturday morning a few more people started arriving at Reavis. Four (or maybe 6) hikers following an old cowboy on horseback with a packhorse carrying most of their stuff. I presume they hired him to haul most of their gear - they only stayed one night - what fun is that? Saturday morning when I left camp for a day hike into Rough Canyon I encountered two young gentlemen on the trail. One of them saw my orange Spot emergency locater clipped to my pack strap and asked if it had a green LED which it does. They had hiked in Friday night arriving at Reavis at 2:00 am and were looking for a place to camp when they saw a tiny green light out in the meadow which they at first assumed was an animal eye glowing in the light from their headlamps. But it was blinking so they had to investigate and discovered it was my Spot which I had forgot to turn off after sending my nightly "I'm OK message". I slept through the entire episode. Late that afternoon I encountered them again when I returned from Rough Canyon. One of them had a pear - yes, they had found the fabled pear tree (actually several pear trees). They told me how to identify them and where to find them but swore me to secrecy. ;)

Shortly after arriving at camp at dusk on Saturday FOTG dropped by and invited me to bring my food and stove to his "secret" camp to join Jackie and him for dinner. Returning after dark to my camp I stopped by the campsite of two couples who seemed to be having way too much fun just to say hi and let them know I would have to walk through their camp in the morning to get water. They had just made fresh apple pie cooked over their campfire and invited me to try it out. It was quite good. Out of all the apple seekers I encountered that week, they were the only ones to have the foresight to bring their own.

Sunday I overslept and got delayed socializing with the neighbors so didn't get out of camp until 10:30 am. I was still worn out from a tough hike into Rough Canyon the day before so it took me 6 hours to get back to the trail head at Rogers Trough. My car was the last one in the parking lot and had a note on the windshield warning me that cars had been broken into and batteries disconnected over the weekend. Fortunately my car had not been molested. FOTG's triplog and comments has more info on this incident. Overall, it was a great week hiking with HAZ friends and seeing beautiful places I haven't been to before.
HAZ Member
511 Photosets

1 ... 12,  13,  14,  15,  16,  17,  18 ... 26  
help comment issue

end of page marker